1.How do I apply Shin-Etsu MicroSi’s Thermal Interface Materials?
- Silkscreening: (High Production) This is typically accomplished by using some type of metal screen(perhaps 100 – 140mesh size) that is affixed to an apparatus. The intended part is then placed under the apparatus and the grease is smeared across the grid. This in turn transfers a grease pillow to the heatsink’s surface.
- Pattern Printing: (High to Medium Production) This approach is similar to silkscreening but instead of a screen, it’s a pattern that is cut out of a sheet of metal. The material would be applied the same, by transferring the material thru the holes in the metal to the heatsink.
- Syringe Dispensing: (Low Production, Evaluation and Rework) This approach requires the least amount of set up by applying a single dollop, multiple dot pattern, or “X” pattern to ensure uniform coverage. ***The key is to provide a uniform layer of grease and to minimize the amount of air entrapment.***
2. What solvents are suggested when removing Shin-Etsu MicroSi’s Thermal Interface Material?
Isopropyl Alcohol, Toluene, Acetone. (Please review with your EHS Department and use best practices when using these chemicals.)
3. How can I purchase Shin-Etsu MicroSi’s packaged products for my individual use?
For low volume demand some of our material (G751, X23-7762, & X23-7783D) may be purchased at Fry’s Electronics. Please note that only products purchased directly from Shin-Etsu MicroSi are warranted by Shin-Etsu MicroSi.
4. How can I purchase Shin-Etsu MicroSi’s packaged products directly?
Please call our Customer Service (888) 642-7674 ext 2 or fill out our webpage information request form.
5. Where should I send my purchase order for processing?
Please e-mail purchase orders email@example.com. Referencing a quotation and providing complete shipping information including nominated forwarder will ensure that your material ships in a timely manner.
6. How do I get a copy of the MSDS for one of Shin-Etsu MicroSi’s offerings?
Please fill out our webpage information request form.
7. How do I get a copy of the C of A for a material that I have purchased?
All CofA’s are included with the shipment. If an additional copy is required please call our Customer Service (888) 642-7674 ext 2 or fill out our webpage information request form.
8. How do I prepare Shin-Etsu MicroSi’s bulk(1KG) cans?
- TIM grease products are differentiated into two basic categories, solvent type and non-solvent type, but both types of TIM grease products contain silicone fluids as a base oil, with thermally conductive fillers.
- Some sediment will gradually precipitate out from the mixture during transportation and storage of either type of TIM. This is a natural phenomenon and it is neither abnormal nor irreversible, even though separated silicone oil may be observed if the sedimentation is allowed to advance far.
- Please stir TIM grease thoroughly before use, with a spatula made of plastic, to make sure of retaining or restoring the original uniformity of its mixture.
<:Method use before stirring of>
- Please use a plastic spatula long enough to reach the container bottom. Plastic spatulas are used to avoid scratching the vessel while stirring.
- Please make sure to stir all the material up with the plastic spatula, starting from the very bottom of the container, and mixing the whole contents uniformly.
<:Method of using and keeping>
- Please store TIM grease only in its original sealed packaging, under conditions of relatively low humidity (50% RH or less is recommended) and temperature (1 to 30 degrees C), avoiding exposure to direct sunlight and keeping the lid of the container upward. Never place the container upside-down.
- Upon opening the container, please stir the contents thoroughly, and we strongly recommend using it all up at one time.
- X-23-7762, 7783D and 7868-2D, a solvent type of TIM grease, contains about 2wt% of Isoparaffin solvent to enhance its working efficiency. The isoparaffin will start evaporating gradually if the container is left with its lid open. So to minimize evaporation of the solvent, please take care to keep the lid closed constantly, making sure it is hermetically sealed, even while actually using the TIM grease. In case a whole container cannot necessarily be used up at one time, please re-seal it hermetically, again avoiding direct sunlight and keeping it under the conditions recommended above for storage.
- After spreading X-23-7762, 7783D and 7868-2D on a heat module (heat-sink, spreader, etc.), the solvent typically should be completely evaporated after about 8 hours at room temperature, but the evaporation time may vary according to the thickness of spreading, or other particulars of the working situation and environment.
<Appearances of the spread TIM grease that are symptomatic of incomplete stirring>
- After spreading TIM grease on heat modules, if a dry-appearing surface is seen during or before assembling the modules into other devices, it indicates that the TIM grease has not been stirred thoroughly enough. This phenomenon is especially likely to be observed when the particular grease mixture contains relatively little silicone oil with comparatively more thermally conductive filler material.
- In that case, please immediately stop using the rest of the TIM grease in that container, and then use fresh TIM grease from other container, after thoroughly stirring as instructed above. Please proceed with spreading only after confirming that the fresh TIM grease is mixed uniformly.
* Please do not hesitate to ask our salesperson if you have any question.
9. Does it help to heat Shin-Etsu MicroSi’s Thermal Interface Material to improve dispense?
We don’t recommend heating as our materials are designed to be easily applied under ambient temperatures.
10. Does Shin-Etsu MicroSi offer dispensing equipment?
Shin-Etsu MicroSi does not supply dispensing equipment as our expertise is the manufacturing of thermal materials such as our grease(s) or thermal pad(s).
11. What are the temperature limits? How high is too high?
Temperature limits are product dependant. For our standard Thermal Grease Shin-Etsu recommends not exceeding 125 deg C. For applications that require higher temperatures Shin-Etsu offers materials that are specially formualted to withstand higher temperatures.
12. What package styles are available for Shin-Etsu MicroSi’s thermal grease(s)?
Our standard packaging styles include: 0.5 grams, 1.0 grams, 55 grams, & 1KG. Custom packaging is also available.
13. Are Shin-Etsu materials RoHS and Reach compliant?
RoHS and Reach statements are available upon request. Please fill out our webpage information request form.